The Augmented Problem

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2014/01/20/amc-movie-theater-calls-fbi-to-arrest-a-google-glass-user/

Along with all new technology comes not only new great things, but also new problems. As a Google Glass user, Tiberiu Ungureanu recently experienced, was arrested for allegedly trying to pirate a film using the popular Google Glasses, which has a video and audio recording function.


After about an hour of watching the movie Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit with his wife, they were interrupted.

"About an hour into the movie (Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit), a guy comes near my seat, shoves a badge that had some sort of a shield on it, yanks the Google Glass off my face and says “follow me outside immediately”. It was quite embarrassing and outside of the theater there were about 5-10 cops and mall cops. Since I didn’t catch his name in the dark of the theater, I asked to see his badge again and I asked what was the problem and I asked for my Glass back. The response was “you see all these cops you know we are legit, we are with the ‘federal service’ and you have been caught illegally taping the movie”."

Subsequently Tiberiu and his wife were brought to two seperate rooms and told they were not under arrest, but a part of a "voluntary interview". So voluntary that if they didn't cooperate "bad things might happen".

"
Eventually, after a long time somebody came with a laptop and an USB cable at which point he told me it was my last chance to come clean. I repeated for the hundredth time there is nothing to come clean about and this is a big misunderstanding so the FBI guy finally connected my Glass to the computer, downloaded all my personal photos and started going though them one by one (although they are dated and it was obvious there was nothing on my Glass that was from the time period they accused me of recording). Then they went through my phone, and 5 minutes later they concluded I had done nothing wrong."


There is more to this story, but I point you to the top link to read the rest.


This is one of many occurring incidents where people are arrested or bullied for using Google Glass or other camera devices, like cellphones or GoPro-like cameras. And there will be more. We tech-savvy people would understand situations like this immediately, but not all people know about these new technologies, and it's a shame that law enforcement does not know their own constitution in some countries, and understand that it supersedes any law in just about any situation.


The Google Glass is not even out for the general consumer yet, so when people start seeing head mounted cameras, with the potential to record anyone or anything, even accidentally, all kinds of questions needs to be answered, like what are the privacy concerns when using these types of devices, what does the law say, and do we need new laws for new technology? It might become a head ache for anyone to figure out every situation this might be relevant, like in theatres, when driving a car or any situation that needs focus on the task at hand to avoid the loss of life. 


Imagine a scenario where someone is driving their car, but misses the car accident which has left a car in the ditch, because they were busy using their AR glasses. It is punishable by law to not stop and help people in an accident in most countries. Or even scenarios where the focus away from the steering wheel creates an accident with fatal consequences. So to me, it is very likely for traffic laws to be passed to avoid accidents like these. Just like laws were passed for the use of cellular phones in vehicles in many places.


So here we are, in a time where the public are being provided with tiny HD cameras and pocket-size computers at the same time as governments are trying to put us all under surveillance.using our technology against us, in the name of national security and a war against piracy. 


That's what I find funny about virtual content. It's not real, and it can be copied over and over, and nobody loses a thing. What kind of a pirate would dig up your precious treasure and leave it there? He didn't steal a thing, right? If your current system of economics can't catch up to technology, just profit from it and punish the ones who are up to speed, perhaps we should leave your system and replace it with something new?


The movie business is seeing it's last days, and with their Hollywood greed trying anything to keep it's power to the bitter end, in denial of it's coming replacement. The virtual space, which so many movies, ironically, warned them about.

Kommentarer

  1. I don't know what the hell happened to the text. But I did receive a message I had logged in from somewhere else, which I never have.

    SvarSlett

Legg inn en kommentar

Keep it clean :)

Populære innlegg fra denne bloggen

When Google becomes your eyes.

I Needed A Place To Think

I Found My Canvas - The Oculus Rift